Moving out

You’ve found accommodation – and you are very happy about that (rightfully so!). An amazing start. Now, you’ll have a lot of other matters that you’ll need to take care of when moving out. You might be receiving extra costs for gas, water, electricity and insurance. You might have to make a deposit. You’ll be signing a rental contract and you might apply for rental benefits. You’ll need to buy furniture and other small things to decorate your living space.

Rental benefits

Living in a rented space, such as an apartment? You may be eligible to receive rental benefits. This is a monthly sum of money, that the government provides, for you to pay your rent with. There are a few requirements you need to meet in order to be able to receive it:

  • You are 18 years of age or older. You rent independent accommodation.
  • You, your possible benefit partner, and cooccupants are registered at your home address in the Netherlands.
  • Your rent, (combined) income and capital are not too high.
  • You have the nationality of an EU country, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland. Are you from another country? In that case, you need a valid residence permit or work permit.


Independent accommodation refers to a form of accommodation that has its own front door, toilet and kitchen.

Eligibility is also determined by your age and the height of your rent. Tenants below the age of the 23 are not allowed to have a “kale huur” (basic rent, your rent without service and utility costs) that exceeds 424,44 euros. Tenants above the age of 23 may not exceed the limit of 720,42 euros.

Maintenance of the living space

Small maintenance tasks such as cleaning and unclogging your toilet or sink are tasks that the tenant should perform. Bigger maintenance tasks or reparations such as leakage are the responsibility of the landlord. If there are problems between you and the landlord that you aren’t able to solve, you can request the help of the Huurcommissie. This is an organisation that specializes in settling conflicts related to rent.

Payment issues

Are you unable to pay your rent? Consult with your landlord as soon as possible; housing companies are often willing to help you find a solution. Even if you can’t produce the full amount, try and pay as much of your rent as you can. If there are too many overdue payments, your landlord might request an eviction. However, a landlord – especially one from a public housing company – will be far more likely to want come to an agreement, rather than evict you.

Terminating your contract

Are you terminating your current contract? Make sure to notify your landlord at least one to three months in advance through a signed letter. Is your landlord terminating the contract? This has to be done at least three to six months in advance by sending you a termination letter. The landlord must have valid legal reasons to terminate your contract.

The contract can only be terminated if you agree to the terms. Never agree to a termination of the contract without consulting the Juridisch Loket in The Hague for advice. You are also free to visit our Legal Counselors during our office hours on Mondays.

Before moving in

Awesome! It took a while, but you’re finally about to sign that contract. Congratulations! It’s just... that’s only the first step. There’s still a lot more to be done before you’ve officially moved in. You still need to move all of your stuff, decorate the entire place and of course register at the municipality - since you finally have an address. Let’s list the most important things to check off.

Checking your contract

Please take the time to have your contract translated and read to you by somebody that’s fluent in Dutch, such as someone from our Juridisch Jongerenspreekuur at JIP. Also make sure that you’ve seen the room or apartment and that you know that their business practices are in accordance with Dutch law. It also helps to have a more experienced person with you, to advise you.

  • Does the contract contain the right address?
  • Are you allowed to register at this address?
  • Are all specified amounts correct?
  • Are gas, water, electricity and internet included in your rent or not?
  • Are you renting the residence for a specified or unspecified amount of time?
  • Does the accommodation come with floor and/or furniture (gestoffeerd) or not (kaal)?
  • Are there facilities that you can or cannot use?
  • Which people are allowed to register and how many?
  • Are there any rules regarding visitors, smoking, sound, etc.?

A contract has to be signed by both you and the landlord – or your parents if you’re younger than 18. Wondering if everything checks out? Try to receive the contract before the signing date, so you have plenty of time to translate and read it.

Moving in:

  • Register at your new address by visiting the City Hall or local municipality office in your neighborhood.
  • Start cleaning, painting and decorating!
  • Take your time to get a good look at providers for electricity, gas and internet. Also make sure that you take out an insurance for your home contents (inboedelverzekering).
  • Make sure to take out a liability insurance, even if your landlord doesn’t require you to. This means that you’re insured for damage that you cause to others or properties.

Ask us your question about 'Moving'

We would be happy to help you out. Do you have any further questions? Let us know! There isn’t a question that we won’t try answer for you. We’ve helped a lot of international students – you might be one of them. Feel free to make use of our service. Click the button below, provide us your information and ask your question; you’ll be hearing from us very soon!

Stel ons een vraag over 'Moving'

Bij het JIP helpen we je graag verder. Vul je gegevens in en stel je vraag. De info die jij ons stuurt gebruiken we alleen om jou advies en informatie te mailen. We geven jouw informatie niet door aan anderen. Je hoort snel van ons!